Motivational Interviewing Trainings
Motivational Interviewing Trainings I Provide:
I can discuss creating trainings or workshops in Motivational Interviewing for your organization that may be longer or shorter in length. The workshops described below are ones that I offer in the Eugene and Springfield Oregon communities.
Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
Introductory workshops for Motivational Interviewing (MI) offered to the community will typically have sixteen hours of training contact time. Workshops for agencies can be conducted with shorter contact time, and yet the more contact time allowed, the more time there is to provide the participants with an understanding of the Spirit of MI.
Additional contact time can also allow the participants to have more time to gain practical experience in trying out this approach. A reasonable goal for the participant in introductory training is not MI proficiency, but rather to "learn how to learn" MI from ongoing practice. In the introduction classes provided, you can expect an exciting mix of didactic presentation, demonstration, and practice exercises. Classes will close after twenty participants are registered in hope to provide more individual attention.
After attending an introductory class for MI the overall hope is for participants to be able to:
- Identify the key content of the guiding philosophy of Motivational Interviewing (MI).
- Identify the communication skills of MI from demonstrations and video examples
- Name key MI strategies for eliciting and exploring clients’ own reasons for change in role/real-play practice exercises
- Describe the four processes of MI for navigating clinical conversations in the direction of client change goals
- Identify key issues for incorporating the primary skills and strategies of MI into therapetic practice
Intermediate and Advanced Trainings
These classes are designed for those who have learned the fundamentals of MI and practiced it over time, and now seek more advanced training in MI. These classes will typically have sixteen hours of training contact time and include analysis of audio or video tapes, more demonstration and practice exercises, and less didactic material. One key element of advanced training is on differentiating change talk from commitment language, and learning how to elicit and shape the two.
Prior proficiency and experience in the practice of MI are assumed for those who sign up for an intermediate or advanced class.
After attending an Intermediate and Advanced Classes in Motivational Interviewing (MI)the hope is for participants will be able to:
- List the key ingredients of the guiding philosophy of MI.
- Identify the foundational communication skills of MI from demonstrations and video examples.
- Name advanced MI strategies for eliciting and exploring clients’ own reasons for change in role-play practice exercises.
- Describe the four processes of MI for navigating clinical conversations in the direction of client change goals.
- Identify key issues for enhancing confidence & competence in applying the primary skills & strategies of MI into clinical practice.
I am also available for individual MI coaching at a hourly rate. This can be in person or conducted over the phone. Please contact me for additional information on classes I offer or about individual coaching in MI.
Organizations I have Provided MI Trainings For
- Oregon University Counseling Center
- Oregon University Housing
- Trillium Behavioral Health
- Lane County Department of Human Services
- Confederate Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians Family Services
- Oregon Association of Relief Nurseries
- Community Health Centers of Lane County
- Relief Nursery Eugene and Springfield
- Chemawa Indian Health Center
- Kairos Coastline Services